This course is an overview on the medication error prevention and its significance on healthcare and patient safety. It covers concepts on medication error types, factors, root cause analysis, impact, and prevention strategies.
This course is primarily intended for nurses and allied healthcare professionals.
Expectations & Goals
This continuing education course will provide health care providers with general knowledge on medication errors and prevention strategies which can be utilized in various health care settings.
- Define medication error, adverse event, sentinel event, negligence, root cause, near miss, and latent error.
- Describe the types and classifications of medication error.
- Discuss the causes of and factors that lead to medication error.
- Discuss the impact of medication error on patient safety, health professionals, and healthcare outcomes.
- Explain the root causes of medication errors.
- Discuss the multidimensional approach in the prevention of medication error.