In this course, students will discuss a broad overview of the role of health care workers in appropriate, evidence-based use of opiates, and in screening and treatment of substance use disorders. Discussion of the opioid epidemic, pertinent pharmacology, safe prescribing practices, current CDC Opioid guidelines, special populations, and Addiction and Substance Use Disorder. Case Scenarios presented for application.
This course is designed for RNs and APRNs, as well as all healthcare providers who work with individuals with substance use disorder, or who take opiates.
At the completion of this activity, healthcare providers will be able to:
- Define parameters of appropriate opiate prescribing
- Discuss safe prescribing practices and steps
- Discuss state and federal laws and regulations for opiate prescribing
- State ways to prevent drug diversion and misuse
- Describe appropriate treatment of chronic pain
- Discuss substance use disorder and treatment
- Discuss the CDC guidelines and other essential resources
At the completion of this activity, assistants, aids, support staff, and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Describe substance use disorder
- Explain how opiate use can lead to addiction