This course is intended to teach Washington State registered nurses and other healthcare providers about current statistics, assessments, treatment and management, and special issues related to suicide prevention. This course includes a pre-test and post-test, as well as several lesson-recall examples throughout the content. By the completion of the course, the learner will demonstrate knowledge, skills, and practice of suicide prevention and assessment by passing a post-test with a score ≥ 80%.
- Acupuncturists & Eastern Medicine Practitioners
- Athletic Trainers
- Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners (APRN)
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons
- Osteopathic Physicians Assistants
- Physicians Assistants
- Social Workers
- Retired, Active License: (naturopaths/LPN/RN/APRN/osteopathic physicians & surgeons/osteopathic physician assistants/physician assistants/physicians)
- The learner will identify specific populations at greatest risk for suicide as measured by completion of a mid-lecture self-check question.
- The learner will be able to describe how to screen for suicidality as measured by completion of a post-presentation quiz.
- The learner will demonstrate competence with the appropriate use of a suicide screening tool to identify those at risk for suicide during a case study.
- The learner will be able to describe the appropriate steps to take after identifying a patient at risk for suicide, as measured by completion of a post-presentation quiz.
- The learner will understand specific risk factors for Veterans and available interventions
- The learner will describe key risk factors for suicide, including PTSD and chronic stress as measured by mid-lecture and post-presentation assessments.
- The learner will describe issues related to imminent harm by lethal means
- The learner will understand specific strategies for first responders
- The learner will explain ethical legal considerations for caring for patients who are suicidal
- The learner will complete a structured suicide risk assessment based upon a case scenario