**ONLY** courses designated with tag “All Courses” will show up on the /all-courses/ page and be searchable in the search box.
Recent political activity has precipitated an increased focus on medication abortion as an option for individuals seeking an abortion. This course will teach clinicians and other members of the healthcare workforce about the provision of medication abortion within their scope of practice. Content regarding safe and ethical practice, as well as updated knowledge about the medication abortion regulatory landscape, pharmacology and logistics of medication abortion prescribing and follow up, and medication abortion outcomes data will be presented.
- Physician Assistant
- Registered Nurse
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- Pharmacy Technician
At the completion of this activity, healthcare providers will be able to:
- Identify terminology, global context, evolution of medication abortions over time in the U.S., and medication abortion safety and outcomes data
- Identify healthcare provider qualifications to prescribe medication abortion, legal requirements for dispensing in/out of healthcare setting, variations in state laws regulating medication abortion, and the FDA approval and monitoring of medication abortion
- Explain how to determine patient eligibility for medication abortion including gestational age, appropriate medication evaluation before medication abortion, and contraindications
- Identify medication abortion regimens including names, doses, mechanisms of action
- Describe how to counsel and manage patients including pain management, risks, side effects, post-medication abortion fertility, teratogenicity and ongoing pregnancy, and follow up
At the completion of this activity, assistants, aids, support staff, and pharmacy technicians will be able to:
- Identify what constitutes medication abortion
- Identify legally acceptable prescriptions for medication abortion